How To Drive In The EU After Brexit

Posted on 18 March 2019 by CarTakeBack

Facebook Twitter

Brexit - it's a topic you might have had enough of hearing about! There's still some uncertainty as to what is happening, especially as the Speaker has just banned another meaningful vote on the current Brexit plans, but drivers potentially need to plan for how to make journeys through Europe after the 28th March.

This is what we know so far on what drivers will need to do in preparation for Brexit.

International driving as a UK resident

If you hold a UK driving licence you shouldn't need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in Ireland. But, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries. The type of IDP that some countries across the globe recognise will also change.

See what IDPs you will need >

Driving if you live in the EU

If you are a UK licence holder living in the EU or EEA you should exchange your UK driving licence for a local EU driving licence before 29 March 2019. If there is no EU Exit deal, you may have to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in to be able to carry on driving there.

You will still be able to drive on your EU licence when visiting the UK.

If you return to live in the UK, and you passed your driving test in the UK, you can exchange your EU licence for a UK licence without taking another test.

Exchange your UK driving licence on the Government Website >

Preparing To Drive After Brexit. Car On EU map

Commercial driving

As well as making sure their licences are valid for driving in the EU and EEA, commercial drivers from the UK will have to make sure they do a few things. They'll need extra documentation, and an International Driving Permit (IDP) if there is a no-deal Brexit.

Driver CPC for lorry drivers

Lorry drivers need a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification to drive in the EU and EEA. But, if there is a no-deal Brexit, EU and EEA countries may not recognise UK-issued Driver CPC.

UK based commercial drivers will still be able to operate in the EU with a UK-issued Driver CPC when driving vehicles covered by an ECMT permit, or any existing, reinstated, or new bilateral arrangement.

UK nationals working for EU companies and driving in the EU and EEA will need a Driver CPC issued by an EU or EEA country. You can exchange your UK Driver CPC for an EU Driver CPC by applying to the relevant body in the country they are working in.

Trailer registration

From 28 March 2019, you must register any commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg, before they drive through most EU and EEA countries.

Find out more about registering your trailer >