Online Logbook Replacement - DVLA Service

Posted on 12 October 2020 by CarTakeBack

Facebook Twitter

If you've lost your log book (V5C) the DVLA have an online service which launched in order to cut the time it took motorists to receive a duplicate log book, from 6 weeks, to just 5 days!

The 'Get a vehicle log book (V5C)' is designed for motorists who have lost or damaged their log book. CarTakeBack has put together this handy guide on applying for your replacement log book online.

How to replace a log book

Who can apply?

You can get a duplicate log book online if you are the registered keeper on the log book and you do not need to change anything in the log book.

You cannot use this service if:

  • you need to change any of your details
  • you do not have the vehicle in your possession
  • you’ve already sent your log book (V5C) to the DVLA for changes to be made
  • your vehicle is registered as part of the DVLA fleet scheme
  • your vehicle is registered abroad, including the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey), Isle of Man or Ireland

How much does it cost to replace a log book?

The service usually costs £25. You can pay by credit or debit card.

How to apply for your replacement log book online

Getting started

You will need the:

  • registration number of the vehicle
  • VIN/chassis number of your vehicle
  • name and postcode registered on your log book

Applying for your log book online

Visit 'Get a vehicle log book (V5C)' and click the 'Start Now' button.

  1. Select what has happened to your log book (V5C)
  2. Enter your vehicle's registration
  3. Enter the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  4. Select whether the keeper is a Private individual or Business
  5. Enter the current keeper details - Name and Postcode
  6. Confirm if the vehicle details are correct
  7. Select whether you would like a confirmation email
  8. Double check the information and agree to the terms and conditions
  9. Enter your payment details
  10. Your replacement log book should arrive in 5 days

How to replace a log book (V5c) online

Do I need my log book to scrap my car?

If you do have your registration certificate (V5C), you should keep the yellow section and hand over the rest of it to the CarTakeBack branch along with your keys. You'll need to fill in the branch's name and address and notify the DVLA.

Find out more on the CarTakeBack website about how to notify the DVLA when you've scrapped your car as well as what to do if you don't have your V5C when scrapping your car.