What is an Authorised Treatment Facility environmental permit?

All businesses that handle scrap cars, which means car dismantlers, scrap yards, junk yards, salvage yards and breakers, have to obtain an Authorised Treatment Facility environmental permit from the Environment Agency in the country which they're based.  That's the Environment Agency in England & Wales, the Scottish Environment Protection Agency or the Northern Ireland Environment Agency. It's the responsibility of the Environment Agencies to carry out regular visits to ensure compliance with the regulations.

All of CarTakeBack's branches hold a valid Authorised Treatment Facility environmental permit.

The standards required by the permit were set by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). They require businesses to invest substantially in buildings and equipment, concrete surfaces and sealed drainage systems. This is needed to stop toxic chemicals leaking into the ground where they could end up polluting the ground and water supplies.

Only sites holding an Authorised Treatment Facility environmental permit can register with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) which enables them to issue you with a DVLA Certificate of Destruction