How do I prove my identity?

If you sell a car as a scrap car in England, Wales or Scotland, we have to confirm your identity. All you need is a current photocard driving licence, as this confirms your name, date of birth and residential address.

Don't have a photocard driving licence?

If you don't have a photocard driving licence, you can instead show another form of photo ID from list 1 below, along with separate proof of address from list 2 below.

1. Accepted forms of photo ID: 

  • a valid UK passport

  • a valid passport issued by a European Economic Area state, or

  • a valid UK biometric immigration document.

2. Accepted proof of address (which must not be older than 3 months): 

  • a bank or building society statement

  • a credit or debit card statement

  • a council tax statement or demand letter 

  • a utility bill (e.g. gas, electricity, water), but not a mobile phone bill.

Proving your identity is a requirement of The Scrap Metal Dealers Act in England and Wales and The Air Weapon and Licensing Act in Scotland.