How do I reclaim my unused road tax?

When you sell your scrap or used car, if there’s still some road tax left on your car, after you've notified DVLA, they will refund any complete months that remain.

The car tax refund will be automatically triggered when either:

  • you notify DVLA of the sale using the yellow section 9 of your registration certificate (V5C/3); or
  • the recycling centre issues your Certificate of Destruction.

DVLA will post a cheque to the registered keeper shown on the registration certificate (V5C) within 6 weeks.

If you don't get your refund within 6 weeks, contact DVLA.

Visit the DVLA website for more information on car tax refundsundefined

Step by step guide on how to tax your car onlineundefined