Sorting The Official DVLA Paperwork

It’s important to get the DVLA paperwork right when you sell your car, whether your car is ready to recycle, or still has some miles left in it. Choosing CarTakeBack will ensure that everything is done correctly. You'll want to make sure that you're doing things properly to avoid an automatic fine from DVLA, and free you from any responsibility for your old car.

When you sell your car with CarTakeBack, you should notify DVLA. You can do this either online or via post using your registration certificate (V5C - the logbook). If you don't have the registration certificate you can write a letter with the details.

Find out how to notify the DVLA when you sell your car >

When you notify DVLA, you'll be sent a letter and an email confirmation (if you gave your email address using the website) confirming you’re no longer the registered keeper of the car, and a refund cheque for any full months left on your vehicle tax, calculated from the date DVLA gets your information - if you pay by Direct Debit, it’ll be cancelled automatically.

Scrap Car Paperwork

If your car is scrapped, you'll receive an official DVLA Certificate of Destruction from your local CarTakeBack branch, as proof that you're no longer responsible for the scrap car.

What is a Certificate of Destruction?

A Certificate of Destruction is an official DVLA document which is issued by a CarTakeBack branch when they recycle your scrap car, using our electronic link to the DVLA's vehicle registration database. The certificate proves that you've disposed of your car correctly and prevents you from being penalised.

Check out our FAQs about how the law affects you when you sell your scrap car>

Feefo service rating

If you still have questions, you can find all of the answers in the following categories:

About your quote About your Car Having your car collected Dropping your car off Getting paid How the law affects you How the law affects us About CarTakeBack

Alternatively, you can search our website below:

Call Us

0330 818 85 50 during opening hours.

Standard rate applies (as per 01 or 02 numbers and is usually included in any free minutes).

Get a Call Back

During opening hours request a call back by entering your telephone number below.
An operator will call you as soon as they become available.

Send an email to or use the form below.

It helps if you tell us your registration or reference number if you have one.
During opening hours we'll usually respond within two hours.

Chat with us online now.

Online chat is compatible with most desktop and tablet computers, and may be available outside of our usual opening hours.

Feefo service rating Download our FREE app for business customers